Sunday 4 December 2016

Week 5 Blog: Goodbye Saint Angela’s (28/2/16)


Candidates for the physiotherapy training course were supposed to turn up on Sunday night. I was unsurprised when Justice emailed me that he had called in at their lodgings to find no one had arrived. Monday dawned with still no trainees and no idea what the invitation to them had said. The invitation had been sent by Sentebale and copied to Sister's email but Sister was away last week.

Sister returns, but is unable to enlighten us and has to go to town for an appointment. Unfortunately, she doesn't return as she has been signed off sick for the week and will not be joining the training as planned. Three candidates turn up and then three more. By 11 am I decided to start. With two others from Saint Angela's there are eight trainees in all and by the end of the day another turns up making nine.

I decided to go for a practical approach as half of the group appear to speak little English and look blankly at me as I welcome them. Things improve as I get one to translate, reminding me of bilingual meetings back in Wales without the headphones. I take them on a tour of Saint Angela's making them use the broken crutches and a wheelchair I have taken off the children. I brutally make my point that equipment must be fit for purpose and the buildings and grounds wheelchair friendly. After a bit of persuasion, we all get into the outside disabled toilet, and everyone gags. Even if you were able to drag yourself onto the toilet you would get covered in faeces and there is no water or soap to wash it off.

We go and test the concrete wheelchair ramps at the nearby school the children go to. The ramps are thoughtlessly set at 45 degrees. One of the ladies bravely flies down one with a scream and spectacularly gets catapulted out of her seat as she reaches the bottom. Even the fittest man does not have the strength to propel himself back to the top.

The tour continues with similar findings in the inside toilets and washrooms at Saint Angela's. If your lower limbs were paralysed would you really want to try and shower sat on a concrete floor, unable to reach the taps and with no privacy? Everyone gets the point; it's not made with any subtlety. Physiotherapy is about helping people to move and improve their function and independence. It’s an uphill battle if your surrounding environment work’s against you.

The following day the focus is more on exercises and the trainees finish the day putting into practice what they have learnt by working with the children of Saint Angela's. Despite its slow start, I feel the course has been a success, the trainees are a little more empathetic towards the children in their care and have thought about a few simple things they could do to make their life easier.

I go home tired but reasonably happy. My laptop has now been working for four days and tomorrow I can start working on my report to St Angela's. I plug it in to charge it and the screen suddenly goes blank. After investigation it becomes apparent something is wrong with the charger. Morning finds me in High Tech trying to source a new transformer for the lap top of doom. Of course, they haven't got one with the same connector as mine.

Eventually I persuade the shop assistant, Mr Guy, to splice my connector onto a new transformer. I tell him I love him and leave for Saint Angela's to put my laptop on charge and begin work. Unfortunately, when I arrive at St Angela's there is no electricity. Justice lends me his bike to go down to his mum’s house and find a power source. I realise at this point why I have never ridden a bike in a long skirt as the material gets caught in the back tyre and nearly gets ripped from around me. I arrive at my destination, with my dignity only partially intact, and put my computer on charge. I ride carefully back to St Angela's to find that power is now back on. I ride back again to retrieve my laptop.

By now it is 1 pm and I am meeting Marion who is a nurse and has just arrived from Wales and is waiting to go out on placement. Meanwhile, I ask her whether she will see a school girl with me who the social worker at Saint Angela’s has referred. The girl, Lerato, was a normal 10 year old until last September when she suddenly developed a fever and pain in her left hip and has been in a wheelchair since.

Her notes say the doctor has seen her, remarked she has a painful hip and prescribed some painkillers and steroids. Has it really taken years of medical training to come up with that conclusion? When I examine her, the left hip is contracted at 90 degrees. I can't move it and feel that there have been some changes to the femoral head, and that she may have osteomyelitis. It will not get better unless she has an operation. She needs an x-ray for diagnosis. I can't believe she's been sitting in this wheelchair for six months and no one has done anything about it (actually, I can).

The social worker says that maybe they will be able to get some money next week from a fund at St Angela's and take her for an x-ray. Lerato can no longer stand upright as her pelvis has rotated forward and her lower back muscles have contracted. I teach her mother some exercises to do with her to try and stop the contracture getting worse and strengthen her leg. I also give her a frame for her to use at home so she can get out of the wheelchair. I emphasise again that I cannot fix Lerato's hip and she must have an x-ray to see what the problem is. I think I might as well have said she needs to go to the moon.

The mother seems to accept her daughters fate. Without money or the NHS, what can she do? I'm afraid this story is continually repeated throughout the developing world. Wherever there is poverty, there are helpless children like Lerato who may now spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair if she doesn't get the treatment she needs.

I finish my last couple of days at Saint Angela's running the regular after school physiotherapy sessions. It's more like an after school club with the children doing the activities they enjoy and me wandering around doing bits of physiotherapy with them. The Marketing officer, Wendy, turns up to an afternoon session. There is a group of boys playing floor football, scooting across the floor on their backsides and knees, other children are pumping weights, some spinning hoops, some doing exercises.




It’s a really lively session and no one is in a wheelchair.  She looks around the room baffled. I ask her "What's wrong?" She says "I've never seen them out of their wheelchairs before." I realise this is my greatest achievement at Saint Angela's. The wheel chair shaped children are now just children playing on the floor. Whether the sessions will continue I don't know. They have the space to do it but need the commitment of staff to continue to supervise sessions. Hopefully I will catch up with them all before I leave Lesotho in April. I will miss the children for sure and always remember their smiles.



I leave for Phelisanong children's home tomorrow and a whole new challenge with quite different children. There is no internet at Phelisanong and I'm not sure how good communications will be. It will depend on how the dongly thing works and the laptop of doom. I am not quite so in love with Mr Guy after it stopped charging again half way through this blog and I had to take it back to the shop. This time it's the strange two pin cable he had given me. Fortunately, he swaps it for a three pin and I am back in business. Who knows how long it will last.

Reflections

In the middle of Maseru there is a statue of a black man playing a saxophone on a roundabout. I use to pass him most days on my way to Saint Angela’s. He plays a golden tenor sax and wears golden boots, blue trousers, a red shirt and a blue cap. I asked lots of people who he was, but nobody knew. To me he was a sign of good fortune and a sign that I was meant to be in Lesotho. I am a passionate musician and play the saxophone.

“I have to have a picture with him,” I told the taxi driver, “please could you stop and take one for me?” He pulled over and I passed him my camera and grabbed my sax case. We both jumped out the taxi and ran across the road onto the roundabout. I played with the sax player with the golden horn, while the traffic beeped at me and the taxi driver took some shots. I knew that my placement in Lesotho was going to work out fine, in an African kind of way, and there was going to be some memorable music along the way.  
Having Justice as a contact and finding the physiotherapy equipment made it a blessing that I started my placement at Saint Angela’s. On my first morning there, this good fortune was not apparent. I realized, after a disturbed night, that sleeping at Saint Angela’s was going to be impossible. All night thumping music from a local bar, put paid to any thoughts of peaceful rest.

The morning saw me bleary eyed, eating breakfast with a picture of the Pope and his various cronies, while hundreds of eggs gently simmered in the summer heat. The eggs were a result of Sentebale deciding to fund a chicken farm to try and help Saint Angela’s generate its own income. The project didn’t seem to be very well run. The hens lived in a filthy shed and the eggs were collected and then stored, for an indefinite time, in the warmth of the dining room. I certainly didn’t find the thought of ‘going to work on an egg’ appealing.

After breakfast, I quickly made arrangements to relocate back to the ILO guest house in Maseru. Although this put me at the mercy of Perfect taxi’s to get to Saint Angela’s, I decided that sleep was higher priority. I had enough problems to tackle without adding sleep deprivation to the long list. Trying to set up a physiotherapy department without any supporting network, was by itself sufficient challenge.
The second week I was at Saint Angela’s, Ma’s nephew was brutally murdered. Understandably, after that she was caught up with family matters and communication with Sentebale proved to be erratic. Cover was not provided for her absence and none of the physiotherapy equipment I ordered arrived. In view of this, I was so lucky to find the donated equipment and have the support of Justice.  

Sister proved to be an elusive figure to track down, and if it hadn’t been for the fortunate appearance of Justice, I’m not sure what I would have achieved at Saint Angela's. Although, as a member of the board he didn’t have any particular authority, Justice proved to be a veritable gold mine of contacts and information. He had previously worked placing Australian volunteers in Lesotho, so knew the difficulties faced by someone like me, working in an environment very different from home.  
Whenever I was stuck, Justice always knew a man who could fix the problem. I don’t know how many times throughout my stay at Saint Angela’s, I would say “Thank God for Justice,” but maybe his timely appearance is evidence there is a God? The further miracles that followed might be additional evidence to support this. How amazing to find a heap of physiotherapy equipment and a huge empty classroom to put it in. 


I didn’t have any particular plan for how I might approach the physiotherapy in Lesotho, but the mass sessions which evolved at Saint Angela’s seemed to work quite well. After individual assessments, the youngsters could get on with their exercises while I supervised and did some treatment. It was a bit chaotic, but a very efficient use of my time and everyone got to do lots of physiotherapy. In the UK, children are normally only seen individually, but adopting this method would have given me very little contact time with thirty plus children and only a few weeks based at Saint Angela’s.



Running these larger physiotherapy sessions was also made more viable by the difference in attitude of the children in Lesotho. They are far more independent and resilient than their UK counter parts. They get on with things without expecting people to help them out. The sparsity of health care available in Lesotho means if you don’t do it for yourself, you stay as you are. I’ve told the children that they are the most important people when it comes to doing their physiotherapy. 

Creating a space for the children to get out of their wheelchairs was my greatest achievement at Saint Angela’s, although my horror about the state of their wheelchairs also led to a mistake with the cushions I had made for them. Initially the boys seemed really pleased with their new comfortable seats, until they found out it made their wheelchairs less easy to do tricks in than the sunken canvas’s they were used to. The hygienic plastic covers of the cushions also made them hot and sweaty to sit on and before long I found many of the children had discarded them. It’s been a lesson in not letting my emotional response get in the way of careful planning and research.

I never found the physiotherapist that was supposed to be working here. Justice thinks that half her salary is paid by Sentebale and half paid by Saint Angela’s. However, Saint Angela’s stopped paying their half some time ago because the finances of this place are crazy. Justice did see the physio some weeks ago, but she had only come to pick up some vegetables. There seems to be some sort of illusion here that when things are paid for, that means they actually happen.   
I think the mysterious physiotherapist is probably one of a few in the whole country. It seems that those who do qualify go to work in South Africa, jobs and salaries are often not attractive enough to keep trained health professionals working here. Maybe there are one or two physiotherapists employed in Maseru hospital, but I don’t know. It’s unlikely Saint Angela’s will see another physiotherapist, now I’m going. I just just hope the staff keep the physiotherapy room open and encourage the children to continue to use it. 

Overall, it’s been a mixed bag at Saint Angela’s. I achieved a lot while I was there, but can’t see that it’s sustainable unless the staff support those changes. Justice is fighting a heroic battle, but without support, he’s never going to win. Now it’s onto Phelisanong and to face those unanswered questions that I’d first asked when I visited there a month ago.           

No comments:

Post a Comment